Thursday, June 12, 2008

Washington and Oregon

As most of you know, we went on vacation for almost two weeks. We missed so much while we were gone, and I am sure that my mom, sisters, and newly returned brother, Janson, are all mad at me for leaving and missing the airport return and the homecoming. I am sad that I missed it, but we really needed to get away. Everything that we do just seemed to crash around us all at once, and we were kicking and screaming to get out of the deep end.

So in response to all the craziness, we ran away to the Pacific Ocean. We started out driving up to Seattle. We stayed with Jeff and Janelle, Todd's cousins. They toured us around downtown Seattle and let us stay with them for the weekend.
As most of you know, this is Pike's Market. We walked around the market looking for good things to eat and fun things to buy. I ate my first crab at the market. We found a shop that steamed, cracked, and served the crab for us. It was so good.
We also rode a ferry boat across the sound to Bainbridge Island. It was raining on and off, but it is Seattle. I would have been disappointed if it hadn't rained. (That is Jeff off to the side of the picture there--he cracks me up). From Seattle we drove into Oregon. As we did that we went through Astoria, the place where everyone told me to go, also the place where Goonies was filmed. There was a street fair in Astoria that day, so we stopped and had lunch and bought some goodies for the trek down the coast.
This is the Astoria column and the view from the column of Astoria. It was such a cool town. That night we drove into Seaside, OR. We were expecting and old fishing town. We were plesantly suprised with a beautiful beach and great food.
The next day we started our drive down the beautiful coast of Oregon. We drove through Cannon Beach and went to the Tillamook Cheese factory. We also saw our first two lighthouses. As we drove the coast we stopped and saw as many lighthouses as we could. They were really cool.
We arrived in Newport that night. Newport was probably my favorite city. It was so pretty and had a large bridge in the middle of it. I have always loved bridges, and this trip only made that obsession stronger. In Newport we went on a boat tour and saw one of the coolest things I have ever seen--tidepools. Just a few stairs down from the Yaquina Head Lighthouse are the tidepools. If the tide is low there is a large amount of sea life to see. I took some of my favorite pictures there.
After we left Newport, we drove pretty far down to Gold Beach. The drive from Newport to Gold Beach we saw probaby six lighthouses. It was fun to see how different some of them are. We only toured through two of them, but I made sure to take pictures of all of them.
Well, that is a few of them. In Gold Beach we took a jet boat tour up the Rogue River. We saw some beautiful wildlife and waterfalls and trees and water.From there we drove into California, and we stayed in Klamath. From Klamath we drove down Highway 101 into San Francisco.

Oregon is the most beautiful state I have ever seen. I was just amazed by all the trees and ferns and moss and flowers and beaches and rocks and rivers and bridges and wildlife and seafood. Oregon is one of those places I would like to retire to. I will be doing another post with all the pictures from San Francisco later. Remind me if I forget to do it, because I have some really cool pictures from the Golden Gate Bridge and other great places.

Thank you and good night.

9 comments:

Tannie Datwyler said...

I LOVE Oregon. I've been there several times, but hearing you talk about it makes me miss it a lot. I know almost all those places you mentioned.

Briena Harris said...

Looks like you saw almost everything. Also looks like you had a great getaway. I hope it helped release some of that stress.

Shanna said...

It is always great to get away. I am sure your family was just fine with it. It looks like you had a lot of fun! ;o)

Amee said...

Ok so I am totally jealous! I know I just went to Hawaii but I love the rain and think that I would love Seattle. Aaron thinks that is ridiculous. Well your pictures are beautiful and I want to go some day even that much more.

Hollie said...

Looks like so much fun! We went last year and loved it. I'm glad you made it to Astoria. Oh and I loved your comment on my blog. :)

The Ericksons said...

Man thats what I need to do! Our latest road trip was to Utah, I don't know if it gets any worse than that! Chad really wants to Oregon so we need to do the trip! I am glad you had a wonderful time!

Carrie Rice said...

I'm just glad your back and safe my dear friend. I am envious of your awesome vacation!

we share: said...

OK- I can't believe that you guys came to Oregon and I didn't know about it. I love less than an hour from Seaside... you totally should have called me! Oh well, maybe you didn't know... I am glad you had a great trip- it really is a beautiful place to live... but a little of the rain and fog goes a LONNNNNNNNNNG way if you know what I mean. glad you had a fun trip!

Brooke said...

Hello Goff family! It's the Carlson's ( Brooke) . I'm jealous of your trip, how fun!