Thursday, July 31, 2008

Summerness

I always have good intentions to blog more and take more pictures and stuff, but it never works out. So if there is anyone out there still checking my blog, this is for you.

I would like to borrow some inspiration from Stephen Colbert for this one. On his shows he likes to define certian terms. My term for today is Summerness. Yes, I realize not really a word, but it is something still.

Every summer comes along and I expect all that makes up grown-up life to be put on hold, so that I can drive with all my windows down to the closest sand volleyball pit and play until the lights go out. I want to meet new friends and make currents friends into best friends. I want to run through the city park's sprinklers at night until I am soaked through. I want to feel the excitement of something new and the comfort of something familiar. I want to be free to do anything and everything. I want to drive around with all my windows down and the music blaring.

This the summerness. The essence of summer is free and warm and fun. There is no deadline or work or responsibility--only endless nights and first kisses and drive-in movies.

This is something I miss now that I have three jobs and laundry and dishes and papers to grade and things to organize. This is something I read about in my own journals and see in my own pictures, but I don't feel it.

1 comment:

Krissey said...

Kam-
I loved your post! It made me remember all the good times we had and the crazy things we used to do. I want you to know I look at your blog multiple times throughout the day while I am at work just by the off chance that you have posted something new and I can see what you are doing in your life. I know how crazy busy things are and I too wish I could drop everything and just spend the day doing absolutely nothing but having fun. Which reminds me we need to get together sometime. Sorry I missed the last girls outing... I was traveling for work. I'll call you sometime so we can get together. I'm so grateful you are one of my great friends that even though I don't talk to you regularly when we get together it feels like no time has passed at all. Miss you and I'll call you so we can go or lunch or something!